All remaining 2021 dates have sold out.
The 2022 dates will be released soon. Please check back for updates.
Join accomplished photographer Kathleen Reeder in an unparalleled wildlife photography workshop that will appeal to amateur photographers of all levels as you explore the wilder side of photography at Out of Africa Wildlife Park. You won’t find a similar venue with various photographic opportunities for this cost anywhere else. Many participants have attended the workshop every year because of its tremendous value. This private workshop offers many unique and exciting features:
- An online webinar presentation to prepare you for your Saturday workshop. This presentation covers wildlife photography tips, recommended gear, and an illustrative slideshow of photos taken at Out of Africa Wildlife Park to prepare you to maximize your camera’s potential while shooting at the park.
- An exclusive, one-of-a-kind opportunity to photograph the animals at dawn’s first light, hours before the park opens to the public.
- Hands-on assistance in photographing wildlife in various settings, including outdoor habitats, open ranges, and unobstructed views.
- Dedicated transportation with a personal driver/guide to carry your gear, narratives of the habitats and animals, and security of your camera equipment.
- A dedicated SuperMog vehicle for the Serengeti free-roaming African animal segment of your experience.
- Animals treated to specific areas within their habitats that make the best use of the day’s light for photographs.
- Unobstructed views to photograph the famed Tiger Splash™ show through fence cut-outs not available to the public.
- Instruction and guidance throughout the photo session.
- Class size is limited to 12 participants, so you’ll have plenty of one-on-one time with Kathleen throughout the workshop to ask questions and get coaching specific to your individual photographic needs.
- Who should attend: Amateurs, advanced amateurs, professionals.
- What you should know: You need to be familiar with your camera to make suggested setting changes (including f-stop, shutter speed, ISO, and exposure compensation) on your own. Please note this is not a workshop to learn how to use your camera.
- Physical Requirements: Participants should be in good health, able to step onto and off of a bus frequently, able to stand in place for up to an hour, and able to walk up to a 1/4 mile at a time with a single camera/lens. You will also need to carry your camera bag a short distance a couple of times. If eye-level photographs of certain predators are desired, you will need to be able to kneel and get back up to a standing position without the need to grab and hold the fence.
Previous photography workshop participants have graciously shared these images from their experience.
The workshop begins on Friday evening with Kathleen explaining the basics of capturing extraordinary animal portrait and behavior photos at the park. Topics include wildlife composition, choosing the right camera exposure mode, aperture, shutter speed, ISO, focus considerations, the importance of depth of field, using flash, and understanding histograms. Kathleen will walk through adjusting your camera settings so you’ll be ready to start photographing the animals on Saturday morning.
Workshop participants must have a digital SLR camera or equivalent, and a telephoto lens with a focal range of approximately 70-300mm or longer. Other required equipment includes plenty of memory card capacity (recommend 16-32 GB), an extra camera battery, and your camera manual. Electronic flash is necessary for photographing in the Indoor Reptile Resort only. Bring your camera, lens, camera/flash manuals, and a notebook for the Friday evening session.
If staying overnight, reserve your hotel room by calling the Best Western Cottonwood Inn at (928) 634-5575. Please note that rooms are not included in the photography workshop price. However, you will receive a 10% discount on the published room rates by mentioning the Out of Africa Wildlife Photography Workshop. You are not required to stay at the Best Western Cottonwood Inn. However, this is where the brief in-person meeting will be held Friday evening.
Once your photo workshop reservation is made, we recommend you reserve your room early before rooms are sold out. Mention Out of Africa Wildlife Photography Workshop when making your reservation to receive a discounted rate. Rooms must be booked a minimum of 7 days in advance to guarantee availability.
$279 + tax (for annual park members)
$319 + tax (for non-members)
Limited to 12. Bookings occur on a first-come, first-served basis. Early registration is strongly encouraged as classes sell out quickly.
Wednesday before class:
6:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. Online Webinar
- Location: Please refer to Kathleen’s Introduction Letter for details Saturday:
6:30 a.m.* – 11:30 a.m. Habitats & Serengeti Preserve
11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. Lunch. Included. (Select your meal/drink preference when booking online)
12:30 p.m. – 2:00 p.m. Tiger Splash™ show
2:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. Wrap Up
3:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. Feel free to enjoy the rest of the day at the park.
- Location: Out of Africa Wildlife Park Entrance
3505 State Route 260, Camp Verde, AZ 86322
- Phone: 928.567.2842* Saturday start times are adjusted to the specific time of sunrise on the date of your workshop. Email your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Location: Out of Africa Wildlife Park Entrance
- Cancellation Policy: No refunds will be issued within 30 days of the workshop. There are no exceptions to this policy, even for medical emergencies and pandemic concerns. We encourage participants to purchase refundable airline tickets and trip cancellation insurance. We recommend Travelex (www.travelexinsurance.com), though there are other fine companies that provide this service. InsureMyTrip.com lets you compare trip insurance quotes from a variety of agencies.
- In the unlikely event Out of Africa cancels a scheduled workshop, you will have the choice of transferring to another workshop that has space available. However, we are not liable for expenses incurred, such as airfare or accommodations, and for this reason, we also recommend the purchase of trip insurance.